A garage door is one of those things that you only get to purchase once in a long while. If you are like many people, you probably don’t have clue what sizes of garage doors are available; the different types available, and where to buy them. Here are some useful tips to follow when buying garage doors:
Standard Sizes for Garage Doors
Standard overhead garage door sizes vary widely, ranging from 8×7; 9×7; to 10×7 ft. These garage door size will allow most vehicles to pass through. For large trucks, As, however, you need something bigger. In such cases, you can use double garage doors. Double garage doors measure 12 feet x 7 feet; 14 feet x 7 feet; and 16 feet x 7 feet. These are large enough to allow large vehicles such as trucks to pass through.
Types of Garage Doors
There are several types of garage doors available:
• Canopy Up and Over: These are the most common types of garage doors. These garage doors are manufactured in sizes up to 8 feet wide, and have a canopy or third door that protrudes from the framework when the door is open. Canopy up garage doors have a torsion spring located above the door panel to lift the door.
• Retractable up and Over: Retractable up and over garage doors are becoming increasingly popular because they can be easily converted to automatic doors. No cables are used to lift these doors which use mounted lifting arms which are moved by tension springs. One important point to note about these doors is that the lifting arms are positioned in the sub-frame when the door is open thus reducing driveway width. Always remember to account for this when installing these doors.
• Sectional Garage Doors: Sectional garage doors offer greater security, have no swing out, and are available in very large sizes and insulated options. These doors are split horizontally into or more panels which operate in vertical tracks.
• Roller Shutter Doors: Roller shutter doors use a classic opening mechanism whereby slats made of steel or aluminium roll up and down a barrel. These doors do not swing out and are designed to maximize the height and width. They are great for use in confined spaces where there is little allowance between your vehicle and your garage sides – check out standard roll up garage door sizes.
• Side-Hinged Garage Doors: These garage doors work very much like conventional doors. They have been recently revived due to high demand and are available in steel, timber, GRP, and uPVC.
When buying garage doors, consider the design, style, window design, material, insulation, spring design, types of openers, cost, and warranties. When buying doors, buy from reputable dealers with trusted brands.
More homeowners are now using their garages as part of their living spaces as workshops, children’s play area, laundry rooms, hobby areas and more. That’s why some consideration to the aesthetic and style of the doors, as well as factors such as insulation should be taken into account when buying garage doors. Be sure to carefully measure your garage door, so that you get the right garage door size.